Thursday, March 17, 2011

Riveting Post Here!

"Mommy and Daddy sometimes let me take an improvised nap on the floor because when I nap more than thirty minutes in my cozy crib I have a tendency to stay up til midnight.  They're idiots though because I like to stay up til midnight no matter what they attempt in controlling my sleep habits!  I won't be tamed!  I'm loved regardless."

If you asked my old talent agent, Peter, why I haven't been blogging nearly as much as I used to he would respond with, "I don't know what to tell you... (insert long pause here)...I really don't."

I had asked him what I could do to increase my chances in auditioning more -- back when I dabbled with auditioning in Chicago -- and that was his answer.  That he didn't know.  He didn't seem to be in a very good place though.  I'm sure he was wondering what he was doing as a talent agent in Chicago at the time because shortly thereafter he quit and moved on to something else.  I don't know what, only that I saw him on the el train headed back up north after a day downtown.

I was so pissed when he replied with that "I don't know what to tell you" BS... but I quote him constantly.  And that's the only reply I have to not blogging.  I just don't know what to tell you other than I am utterly consumed with writing this 300 pages or so fictional book.  And right now I am avoiding that endeavor as if it is the plague so now I can blog.  Lucky you!

Here are random bits I have to share.  It's focused on life in California for those of you don't live elsewhere, mainly back home in the Midwest.

1.  I cannot tell you how many cars in L.A. fall under the category of luxury vehicle.  It is insane.  Yesterday, I counted at least three corvettes as I drove to my casting office gig.  Then I counted about a thousand Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguars, Bentleys, Rolls Royces and Lexus (how do you pluralize Mercedes and Lexus? Huh.)  Now I'm not from rural Dakota-- I am accustomed to nice cars.  But nothing prepares you for the wealth driving around L.A. except a summer spent in the Hamptons I imagine.  It's nutso.

2.  I cannot tell you how mini Mini Me from the Austin Powers movies is in real life.  He is smaller than The Boy.  And he's also got the acting resume that rivals DeNiro, Pacino and Clooney combined.  Talk about finding your niche.

3.  I cannot tell you how one stays living in L.A. knowing full well an earthquake could hit at any point. I'm living on a damn fault line for god's sake!

4.  I cannot tell you how I will have health insurance in a year.

5.  I cannot tell you if this book I'm writing will get published.  I get pretty sick of it and if I am there's a good chance a publisher will too.

Here's what I can tell you-- No matter what happens I wouldn't trade moving out here for anything.  I've learned so much about myself, showbiz, my relationships with others and life in general simply from taking a HUGE leap of faith and relocating to L.A.  It's not easy (and by that I mean OH MY GOD THIS IS NOT EASY!) but we did what our guts told us we needed to do to make dreams come true.  I don't always sleep well at night but that's more with worrying about an earthquake as opposed to the choice we've made.  And that feels good.

Take that old talent agent, Peter.  If he could see that awkward and naive young actor now... (well, I don't think he'd have much of an opinion in all honesty, but you see where I'm going with this).

Okay, back to work!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh, Man! It's so good to see you here today! If nothing else, just post pictures of the boy on a more regular basis with the witty, sardonic photo captions you always write along!!