- Cook-- I'm pretty darn good at assembling whatever Trader Joe's has to offer (mix this random sauce with this meat and serve over this rice dish followed by dessert) but I'd like to make more myself. So far I've made pizzas, meatloaf and baby food. Not bad I'd say!
- Be a mommy-- So many women don't get this opportunity and I feel really lucky that I do. Yes, I'll need to work at some point but The Boy is dreamy and I hope I don't have to slog through a full day of something that only leaves me missing him.
- Finally read the "InStyle" magazine that I moved across the country-- The thing has Jennifer Garner on the front and is from 6 months ago.
- Relax-- I think moving to the west coast as opposed to the east will help this along.
- Work in a casting office-- While I wouldn't turn down an offer to be in a movie/tv show/commercial, I'm starting to think I'd rather be the one in charge of finding the talent.
- Eat a lot of frozen yogurt--Menchie's fro yo is down the street and to die for.
- Swim in my unheated pool-- Yes, I will be cold but it's a pool and calls out to me.
- Troll garage sales-- Never did this before but this past weekend I scored two big toys and a ton of gates for The Boy.
- Encourage all friends and family to visit-- You know who you are, come on out here!
- It's a mystery...
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Folks often ask me what I'm going to do while in Los Angeles. Mr. Jarcy and I moved here without jobs lined up so I suppose this question is valid. My response, however, is typically "I don't know." And I don't! With so many changes over this past year, it's been nice getting our new home established and then being open to what the future holds. Here are some things I'd like to do while in L.A.
Monday, September 28, 2009
So we get the newspaper every day. We have for years. In Chicago we got the Tribune delivered daily and we had to go outside to retrieve it. We lived in two and three flat buildings so it's not like the delivery service could get it any closer than the foot of our stairs or over the fence.
Now we live in an elevator building with around 25 apartments. We ordered the L.A. Times newspaper to show up daily. We figured the newspaper would be all the way down at the front door to the building like I used to see at bigger places in Chicago.
Well not the case--the paper shows up at our front door inside the building. It's like a hotel! It saves us from a) getting the paper stolen by someone else, and b) trekking down 3 floors, and c) getting dressed. We love it.
Friday, September 25, 2009
The Boy has a new game and it's really quite funny. (Well, come on, what does he do that's not entertaining? Heehee) We sit him down in the Bumbo chair next to a basket of toys and, before you know it, he has emptied every toy out onto his lap. Every single toy gets face time from the frog who sings the alphabet song to a pink stuffed elephant you'd never imagine he'd find interesting. It's adorable.
Monday, September 21, 2009
For the first week of living here I didn't really feel like I was 2500 miles away from Chicago. We have lots of friends here and I hadn't watched any local TV.
Last night, however, I was watching the nightly news and found that the only story getting coverage was the Emmy's. Wow, I thought, maybe a slow news night? No, not at all. This weekend was one of the deadliest in the area with police killing 3 individuals in 3 separate incidents. And let's not forget the wildfires are still burning. One news program was kind enough to run a news ticker on the bottom of the screen with the actual stories while they parked field reporters outside the Emmy's after parties. Who knew Jon Cryer was that newsworthy?
This morning was much of the same...lots and lots of talk about this year's fashion hits and misses. I've always been a junkie for this sort of "news," but I guess only in moderation.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Tidbits I've learned so far about living in L.A.--
- Everyone complains about the traffic, however, it doesn't seem any more extreme to me than Chicago.
- That said, drivers are quite aggressive. They like to use the horn an awful lot. I walked across a busy intersection in my neighborhood and saw my life flash before my eyes. Walking is not the preferred mode of transportation I guess.
- People seem happier. Petco cashiers in Chicago would never be as friendly as here. All the sunshine and driving must elevate one's mood.
I think I'm gonna like it here.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Thursday, September 17, 2009
A MESSAGE FROM THE BOY: Hello! I have a new place in Cali! Things have been crazy busy but The Parents are slowly getting our new home in order. And my pet, Creepy the Cat, showed up yesterday after a flight on Pet Airways! Cool, huh? Well, I gotta go get into mischief now--sitting still is not my forte. Getting into everything is my specialty. The parents are looking into buying me a big holding pen, heehee. They're so silly. Okay toodles!
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
I can't get enough of this picture. I'd buy a billboard space and post it for the world to see if I could.
Today this beautiful boy is 7 months old. I cannot believe it. In no time he'll be applying to college. It really does feel that way.
He's been sleeping a lot today. Getting older is taking it's toll I guess!