Friday, May 9, 2008

Fit Old Guy Kicks My Butt

Yesterday was my last day in Florida and I was really sad to leave.  I got to spend some time with my best friend and even more time alone.  I spend a fair amount of time alone at home (okay, a ton) but this was different.  This was time spent away from the TV, out in nature and soaking up the sun.  I strongly recommend this to everyone.

I took a final walk along the beach and soaked up as much as possible to take home with me.  While walking along the water's edge I heard a voice behind me say, "You're slowing down, better pick up the pace again!"  It was an old guy with a full head of white hair passing on my right.  "Well, I think you're in better shape than me," I said.  Without slowing down one bit he replied, "Oh, you're a lot younger than me...I'm 72!"  I looked down at the weights strapped around his ankles and below ridiculously sculpted calves.  Yeah, this guy was definitely in better shape than me.  Within a minute of our interaction, he was at least 1/2 a mile in front of me.  

Now back to Chicagoland and preparing for my sister's college graduation this weekend.  I can't help but wish we were holding it on the beach...

No comments: