Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The ONLY Reason Our Credit Cards Expire

Hello!

I called in to my credit card company today to activate a new card.  The current one expires in a week.  The activation turned into the worst sales pitch ever.  First I got hit up to buy different features, none of which I can even recall now because they seemed so vague.  

"No, no," I said, "I'm just calling to activate the card."  
"Great," the guy said, "Hey, as a courtesy did you know your card has fraud protection?"  
"Well, I would hope it has fraud protection," I replied.  Don't all cards have this protection to some degree?  My mother just had a fraudulent experience and her credit card remedied the situation immediately!
"Perfect," Mr. Stupid Sales Guy disguised in Activation Helper's Clothing said.  "I'll set that up on your card right away."
"Woah, wait...It doesn't already have this protection included?  If you're just adding it now, does that mean you're charging me extra?"  My heart started to beat double time.
"It will be an additional $11 a month for the coverage so, no biggie, so if you just give me a moment here I will have it all taken care of and..."
"Hey!  No!  Don't just add that to my card then! " By this point I was livid.   
"Oh, well, alright then," he said confused.  I had a feeling it didn't take much to confuse this dude.  "Your card is all activated then, Mrs. Jarcy.  Is there anything else I can help you with today?  No?  Well enjoy your day then, bye bye."

Jerk.     

No comments: