Friday, February 29, 2008

January, Strawberry and Chickahominy

The societal norms we create fascinate me.  Of those norms the baby naming is one that I am particularly intrigued by these days.

Naming a baby after a month--April, May, June...these have all been socially acceptable.  August has also gotten himself in there.  But what about March, October, September?  Months ending in "ber" are not okay?  Why is this?  

Naming a baby after fruit-- We now have at least one Apple in the midst.  And probably hundreds more after she paved the way.  Hmmm, I guess there are no other fruit names.  At any rate, there are definitely no vegetables.  "Asparagus, come away from the TV and don't make mommy say it again or you'll be having a time out!"  Nope.  

Naming babies ridiculous words-- Suri.  Suri?  Suri!!  I'm trying to see if this sounds like a baby.  It does not.  Did any of us really think Katie Holmes would be the type to name a daughter Suri?  I sure didn't.  I pegged her for the classics like Grace or Madeline.  That said, I seem perfectly comfortable with the names Maddox, Shiloh and Zahara.  Um, aren't these just as ridiculous?!  Yes, they are.  

So I'm right back where I started.  Certain names just hit us as bizarre and unfortunate-- 
"Think of the taunting that child will endure on the playground!  Were they smoking CRACK when they made that name decision?" 

Others seem acceptable, innovative, cool-- "Woah, naming a baby after a Civil War battle is the coolest!  I'm totally naming my first born Murfreesboro!"  
 
These trends exist regardless so I think I better be prepared.  I'm going with January, Strawberry and Chickahominy.  And now I've started my own trend because they all end in "y."  


No comments: