Saturday, February 13, 2010

Babyproof Or Parentproof?

Babyproofing...ah, now this is a joke.  At least it has been for us.  I won't go too into this rather dull yet infuriating activity but here are some highlights--

Mr. Jarcy installed a toilet lid lock in one of our bathrooms per my request.  Unfortunately, I couldn't unlock it when I needed to pee at 3AM.  And since it's located in our main bathroom, I'm pretty sure we'll be explaining to every guest how to unlock it.

Mr. Jarcy tried to install two different gates to seal off the kitchen.  Unfortunately, one was so high that it also blocked my entry and neither was stable enough to withstand our little bruiser of a boy.  Gates need solid walls to really work and this entry is a little tricky.  So no gate will be erected and we'll continue to watch him like hawks.

Mr. Jarcy also tried to install a narrow gate onto an extremely narrow doorway but it just wasn't narrow enough.  This doorway is like an airplane bathroom's for god's sake!  You should have heard the groan of defeat Mr. Jarcy let out after a day of gate failure.  Poor guy.  

I made fun of this cushiony helmet one of the baby sites sells and now it's looking like a viable option.  Quick, someone please take away my credit card before I place an order.

2 comments:

The World According To Me said...

You have to get one of the gates we have for the kitchen, it has a foot thing to open it. Not climbing by you needed. I have 3 of them :)
http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Hands-Free-Gate/dp/B000058CC7

The World According To Me said...

Hey Mrs. Jarcy! Happy belated birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to e-mail you yesterday and then I stopped myself because I thought I would have a chance to call you. Sorry, neither happened. I hope your day was was great--actually hoping you got a whole weekend out of the deal!