Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Why Vacation

Have you ever noticed how many of us have excuses for going out of town as opposed to just leaving for a little break? Now granted I do travel here and there for a job so people wonder whether I'm headed to Pittsburgh for pleasure or money. Makes sense. But even if I say a pretty cool destination (sorry Pittsburgh) the first question folks ask is, "Why?" I could say Cabo San Lucas and they'll want to know why. Why not??

Mr. Jarcy and I went to New York City for a few days and a handful of people asked if we were going to be auditioning for anything while we were out there. So now I get to ask WHY!? Auditioning for agents or shows? Well, no, we weren't. And when I stated that, no, we were just going they seemed perplexed. We just decided to have a long weekend and visit some friends. People go there to visit all the time!!! And then I actually felt a little guilty that we weren't doing that. Not that I wanted either of us to audition, just that it seemed to disappoint the person I was talking with.

Destination weddings, fertility vacation packages, divorce getaways...Do Germans have so many labels attached to their holidays? I bet they don't. They just take time off because they are given six weeks of vacation time. We, on the other hand, DO have to attach it to some reason/excuse because we're lucky if we get three weeks. And I am easily guilty of this which may be why I get asked about the nature of my trip. I did a two week Spanish immersion program in central Mexico once because it seemed like I could get a few tasks completed at the same time--vacation, continuing education for my job, learn a new skill. It's not that easy to go away and...well just go away because you want to! Poor us.

No comments: