Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Shop Til Your Parking Meter Runs Out

I never shop downtown.

I live less than 5 miles from the Magnificent Mile but I've always found going down there to be effort I'm not willing to exert.  Instead I will drive 15 miles out of my way to a mall where I can park.  You can take the girl out of the suburbs but you can't take the suburbs out of the girl...  

Yesterday I had a voiceover audition downtown off Michigan Avenue and decided that I would seize the day and shop around for Mr. Jarcy's upcoming birthday.  Oh, I had a glorious time!  I went to the Nordstrom's mall and saw Dale from the last season of "Top Chef" on the street.  I was beaming and thought he was someone I know until I realized he is just one of my reality television friends.  I had committed so much to the smile that even Dale was wondering if we were acquaintances.  

I got done with my purchasing and was thrilled with myself for breaking out of the comfort zone.  So much fun dropping cash downtown with the tourists and trendsetters!  I felt exhilarated as I turned the corner and headed to my car.

And then ran smack dab into Mr. Jarcy.    

I couldn't believe it.  Right there on the street we ran right into one another.  I had thought about crossing the street earlier and didn't.  I had thought about running into another store and didn't.  Instead I ran right into the husband.  Ridiculous.  I did my best to conceal the gifts but retail companies do everything in their power to make their bags identifiable by anyone within a 300 yard radius-- Oh look!  That woman just purchased something small from Nordstroms! Wow, that sure is a nice store, I quite enjoy the shoe department!  Perhaps I should go there as well, thank you bag marketing!  

Where was my best friend Dale to help cover up all these purchases when I needed him?!  Jerk.  I saw him on the street and he didn't even bother to say "hello."  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.