Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Listen Up You Faceless Other Mommies...

What does it take to get a moms' club to take me in?

You may recall my post months ago about how I unsuccessfully attended a moms' playgroup when The Boy was 3-4 months old. Well I was quite successful in attending, it was the other moms of the neighborhood who never showed. I had to move heaven and earth to get there with a newborn who's aversion to sleep was nothing less than sadistic. And then to be the only one there? I stuck around for a full hour, just me and The Boy, hoping just one other mommy would show up. But she didn't. And lemme tell you, that is not an easy pill to swallow when you are new at parenting and beyond desperate to connect with others like you while residing in miserable, wintery Chicago.

But other mom friends keep encouraging me to join these groups and so I tried again. I've got some friends out here to connect with but every kid's schedule is different and it doesn't hurt to have options. Besides, The Boy needs to expend energy so that he'll be ready to go to bed before 11pm (I start to disintegrate around 10:30pm after a full day of being "on"). I emailed the local moms club that I apparently must join as it is according to which zip code you reside in and guess what? No mommy has replied. It's been a week. I think I'm getting blown off for a second time by the faceless mommy.

This reminds me of my failed attempts at online dating years ago only much more painful.

3 comments:

The World According To Me said...

I think you need to start your own mommy group. Forget those others. They are missing out on knowing you and the boy. I would join but I might need a little notice before each meeting :)

Jill said...

Its Jill from Griggs' blog again (let me know when my comment posting gets creepy.) Are there any online Mommy blog communities you can join to get to know other gals, and then maybe transition to in-person Mommy meetings? Since Dooce.com just started a Community section of her website, I'm guessing there are others. [And btw, I'm not a Mommy but I do read some Mommy blogs, mostly because I find things like "Momversation" hilarious.]

Anonymous said...

Hi ladies! If I leave a comment can you see it as well? I agree about the online communities and then starting my own group. Luckily The Boy has many "aunts" and "uncles" out here to keep us both entertained but it would be nice to meet some local mommies! Thanks for the dooce suggestion, I always forget to look at that too.

Mama Jarcy