Sunday, March 25, 2007

Can I be Jane Austen? Why not?

Mrs. Jarcy has returned! Oh what a joyful day it is indeed.

Well, well, well...it appears that Creepy the Cat and TJ the brother-in-law DID NOT hold up their end of the deal and post on my behalf. Mr. Jarcy and I were at times near a computer but I must confess I enjoyed the break from technology. My phone was rarely on and even the TV seemed repulsive. This is just one example of why I should have been born in 18th century England.

Yes, that's right, I said I should have been born a woman in 18th century England. I could be more general and say the 18th century anywhere but I fancy England so England it is. Here's why:

AIRPLANES--THESE DID NOT EXIST IN 1775.
I don't like them. You can tell me how safe I am in them and I will believe you for the most part. I've done the research--my chance of dying in an airplane is 1 in 65 million. I do yoga breathing, I call upon higher powers for protection, I grab the leg of whoever is near me, etc. That doesn't mean, however, that I enjoy being in them.

Mr. Jarcy and I had quite the experience on the way home from our desert getaway (that will be my next post). Chicago was covered in fog on Friday night as we were to land. This was the unfortunate news we received after flying in rainstorms for 3 hours. The pilot circled over the lake for 30 minutes or so and then was given the go ahead to land. Keep in mind there is no ground to be seen at any point due to this heavy fog. The pilot took us into our descent, the wing flaps came down as they always do upon landing and then unexpectedly we shot back into the sky like a rocket. The pilot then announced he had to for he could not see the runway! Let me repeat that...OUR PILOT COULD NOT LAND BECAUSE THE FOG PREVENTED HIM OR ANYONE FROM SEEING A RUNWAY! Yes, that is what happened. And I already do not like to fly. Then we circled more. We attempted to land again. The fog got worse. So we flew to St. Louis and stayed the night. The next day we boarded another plane and guess what...there was only one mile of visibility as we landed. Yes, more fucking fog. I was a mess. But we did land and now I am home in beautiful weather and able to blog to you about how I don't enjoy planes.

OTHER MODES OF FAST TRANSPORTATION--THESE DID NOT EXIST IN 1775.
While we're on the subject of planes, I must confess I don't love other fast moving things such as cars, buses, trains or motorcycles. I drive a car but get freaked out by other people driving. I'll hide it as best I can except with Mr. Jarcy. I don't always like how he drives. Sorry my love.

I LIKE TO WALK--PEOPLE DID THIS IN 1775.
I love to walk, not just like. I would love to roam about the countryside alone or with a friend or sister. Yes, to me that sounds lovely.

I LIKE HORSES--THESE ALSO EXISTED IN 1775.
Why aren't horse drawn carriages more popular these days? I would be fine if it took me 2 hours to reach downtown Chicago. And horses are pretty. There's even research on how they can help those who have experienced trauma. Don't ask me who conducted this research though, I don't know. But they are pretty.

Is it me or do all of my reasons for wanting to be an 18th century Englishwoman revolve around transportation issues? I'll come up with more. Its good to be back! Well sort of...

No comments: