Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How I Write

I am a writer.  Well, okay, I don't get paid--unless you count the $1.02 I've earned from ads on the blog--but I do like to write.

I've also read various books from successful writers describing how they write.  Many of them get up at the crack of dawn and write for a healthy amount of time.  Like hours.  Others stay up late and write for a healthy amount of time.  Like hours.

What is your routine, Mrs. Jarcy???

I get up not too early but also not too late and tend to The Boy for a healthy amount of time.  Like hours.  Then I write whenever I have anywhere between 15 seconds and 15 minutes.  If I have time I repeat this routine throughout the day.  A lot sometimes.  And I do it standing up at my kitchen counter.  There is no time or freedom to sit.  If I sit too close to The Boy he will inevitably be drawn to the computer and bang at it with all his might.  If I sit somewhere away from him then he's not being tended to and will hunt me out anyway.  So I stand.  Like hours.  Then I stay up fairly late but not too late and tend to The Boy and whatever else needs to be done for a healthy amount of time.  Like hours.  And then I may write some more but will probably just veg out in front of the TV or a gossip mag before retiring for the night.

 Surrender to the writing on the wall and you will accomplish much more than sitting and waiting for the time to miraculously present itself.  Unless I could set up shop in the bathroom.  That's where my creative streak really seems to take off.  Who knew flossing was so inspiring!

No comments: