Friday, October 23, 2009

Sun and Surf? Uh, Where Again?

We made an impromptu visit to Santa Monica this morning. We had planned on going to this outdoor recreation area called Lake Balboa but The Boy fell asleep in the car on the way there so we decided to head in another direction to the beach. I've never seen the Pacific ocean and was sooo excited. Here's what I wasn't expecting:

  1. Well, above was my first glance. The beach and Santa Monica Pier were covered in a haze, fog or god knows what. It eventually burned off and got sunny but I was still a little thrown.
  2. There's a substantially large amount of homeless residing there.
  3. The Pier is strewn with restaurants, an arcade, vendors selling tourist trinkets and even a trapeze school. Perhaps the oddest to me was the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company establishment that was attracting visitors by the droves. Huh?

Not quite what I expected but then we drove up Pacific Coast Highway and things started to look more like what I had imagined.

No comments: