Sunday, April 4, 2010

Shake It Baby

We had an earthquake this afternoon.  This is now my third experience with the ground shaking.

One time was in Chicago when Mr. Jarcy and I lived on the fault line from a quake originating from downstate Illinois.  Then a few weeks ago we had tremors in the early AM from an earthquake south of here.  Both of those times I felt them, however, I was also half asleep and just was like, "Ah, we're shaking a bit.  Whatever--snooooooze."

This one was different.

It was at 3:40PM, I was on the phone with my dad and watched as the building began to sway back and forth.  The blinds and dining room table chandelier followed suit.  The building directly across from us seemed to be standing still while I felt like I was on an amusement park ride.  Back and forth, sway, sway.  Dogs outside started barking like crazy.  It was freaky.  Nothing broke or fell and The Boy and I were safe but for a few moments I was worried.  And of course my first thought was, "Man, we should get outta here.  Quick, let's head to the elevator!  Wait, that's wrong, let's just head to a doorway and take it easy."

I think I'll have to brush up on some earthquake preparedness.

No comments: