Monday, October 18, 2010

Summoning Tim Gunn

"Mommy, what are you doing?
You're not supposed to be blogging, you have a one-page summary to write.
Use your time wisely!"


I'm in a little over my head here.  Okay, I mean a lot.  A LOT.

Tomorrow night for class I need to submit a one page summary of the book I will be writing over the course of the next few weeks.  I also need to spend the day at my new job before that as well as read over and critique 10-page submissions that two other students have completed.  So reading and writing before I go to bed tonight and then gone all day tomorrow...uh huh.  Well I guess that just makes me think of the following--WHAT AM I GOING TO WRITE ABOUT IN THIS CLASS????!

I don't know what to write.  I have about 500 different story ideas racing around in my head like bumper cars.  There is no winner, just a lot of bumping.  I start with an idea, get the motor running, pick up speed and then WHAMMO another stupid bumper car (I mean idea) T-bones me and I'm left wondering what direction I'm facing.

Is this analogy making any sense?  Can you feel the panic that is being unleashed from within?  AHHHHHH!

Tim Gunn would say, "Make it work, Mrs. Jarcy.  This is 'make it work' time."  He's right.  Tim Gunn is always right.  I wish I had one of his books right now because I would read that and gain insight and...woah, no time for a Tim Gunn Tangent here, Woman!  Make it work, make it work...

Now should I type on my computer or write in a notebook?  Make it work, make it work...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

This is always when the good stuff happens.