Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Zip It City Is Lovely This Time Of Year

"I feel free!"
I haven't been blogging as much lately.  It bums me out a bit.  I like when I was writing something to post daily.  It may be the path I'm on right now.  That path is towards Zip It City.

What is it about being a mom that gives me the uncontrollable urge to constantly talk?  It's maddening!

Have I always been like this?  (Don't answer that, I'm afraid to know the truth.)  Listen, I have never been one to deny myself the opportunity to talk.  My phone bills act as proof.  But since becoming a mother it seems I rarely allow a breath or two to escape my yapping mouth when conversing with friends.  I just don't stop!

So I've been talking less and listening more.

The behavior has come in handy while dealing with a state case worker in the attempt to secure The Boy speech therapy.  (The Boy talks constantly as well but in a language all his own.)  The case worker has made this process more complicated than securing a new liver, that much I know for sure.  It has been chaos creating.  So instead of yapping like a crazy lady I have shut the heck up and let her just go on and on.  It has given me a sense of calm.  Let her be the crazy one, I could use the break.  This whole path was the doctor's orders anyway, not mine.  If I have to continue then I have to cope by NOT talking so much.

So yeah, that's my new thing--talk less, listen more.

I learned a lot more in my parenting class (Toddler School) on Tuesday as a result.  Of course, the teacher was practically yelling over the group of mothers.  We all need a trip to Zip It City in that class.  At times I wanted to talk but then thought, "You know, these other gals have that covered."  I simply sat, listened and sipped my coffee.  Give some other stressed out mommy the floor to vent because I'm vented out.  Besides, the only way it seems I'm going to finish this book is if I start composing chapters in my head any chance I can get.  

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Several times this week I've laughed about our hour long phone conversations a few Fridays ago. Seriously, that's probably the longest conversation I've had in weeks and certainly the longest on the phone for gosh, several years? I loved it, though, and I don't remember you monopolizing the conversation, so don't be too concerned. Nej....PS Love the pics and conversation between the cat and the boy...HI-larious.