Saturday, January 17, 2009

Delivery Delusions

Hellllloooo!  

Years ago when I had braces, I fantasized that every time I went to my scheduled appointments, Dr. Kay would declare, "Well, good news!  Your teeth are now perfect and I think we'll just take off these unattractive and cumbersome braces today!!!"  

This never happened.  

Of course on some level I knew I would be prepped for such an important date and yet it never prevented me from holding onto the dream.  

Well today I had the first of my weekly obstetrician appointments-- we'll be having them until Fetus Jarcy decides to become Baby Jarcy-- and the fantasies returned only replacing braces removal with baby removal.  "Good news, Mrs. Jarcy," the Dr. would say to me, "It appears you are 5 centimeters dilated and I think instead of going home we should admit you to get that unattractive and cumbersome belly turned into an adorable baby.  Go help yourself to some lunch and we'll have the best room in Labor and Delivery prepped for you ASAP."  

This never happened.   

I guess as much you age, old delusions are hard to break.  I'm already gearing up for a variation of the above to take place next Friday as well.  

  

No comments: