Monday, July 19, 2010

40 Lashes For That Wink, Woman

"Did I just catch my parents smiling at each other?  BUSTED!  Unacceptable behavior you two...UNACCEPTABLE!"  

I remember my parents informing me my mother was pregnant with another child.  I was eleven years old and beginning my long journey down Tween Angst Avenue (I'm still on it).  I had wanted a sister for as long as I could remember and was beyond thrilled with this unforeseen turn of events.  Then I realized what act my parents must have partaken in to make this dream of mine come true.  "EW!" I cried, "I DIDN'T KNOW YOU TWO STILL DID THAT SORT OF THING!"  I was thoroughly grossed out.  I wasn't some Puritanical being.  On the contrary, I enjoyed forms of affection in our household.  Hand holding and kissing were not only acceptable, they were encouraged!  That meant I had two loving parents who loved one another-- what kid wouldn't want that?

The Boy, that's what kid.

The Boy HATES when Mr. Jarcy and I are affectionate with one another.  Now get your mind out of the gutter, we're not talking serious hanky panky in his presence.  We're not channeling John and Yoko.  We're talking an innocent peck on the lips, a few moments of innocent hand holding, maybe a five second hug.  What is his reaction, you ask?  Screaming.  Grunting.  Growling.  Flailing all about.  It's extreme enough that we purposely hugged one another at a friends' gathering yesterday just so he would perform his little outburst.  That's right, he's now a party trick.  Listen, I'm gonna try to enjoy it if he's going to reach such epic proportions dramatizing!  Usually it just stresses me out (the list of Mrs. Jarcy stressors is also reaching epic proportions).

I could cut him some slack if showing affection was in some way prohibiting him from securing basic needs like food, sleep and diaper changes.  We all know, however, his needs rule the roost around here.  I guess that's why he thinks if he makes a big enough stink we'll ease up on liking each other.  Mr. Jarcy has tried to explain to him the only reason he's around is because we "liked each other" a little over two years ago but he doesn't care.  He only knows that Mommy giving Daddy hugging is unacceptable!  I expected him to some day be mortified by this, I just didn't anticipate that day to be at age 17-months.  And if he's worried this liking behavior will lead to more children, therefore jeopardizing his reign, he has NOTHING to worry about.  One child is just perfect for this family.  His reign will last for a long, long time...possibly forever.           

Now if you'll excuse me, I've been ordered to wash all size 2T clothes as punishment for butterfly kissing Mr. Jarcy earlier in the day...

No comments: