Friday, July 23, 2010

Date Night Friday

I have done the unthinkable--I've hired my very first babysitter.  Can you believe it?  Me neither.  Listen, it was time.  Despite my countless trips to Target, Mr. and Mrs. Jarcy are not made of money.  It's not easy paying a stranger money that I could use to buy The Boy more toys.

Mrs. Jarcy, you've never hired a babysitter?  The Boy is almost 18 months old, right?  Do you just not leave the house ever?

You are correct, we do not leave the house ever.  Or if we do go out we don't go without him.  If we can't take him we don't go.  Even if we CAN take him we often times don't go.  Not a lot of "going" going on around here.  Unless there are grandparents or beloved friends trustworthy enough, familiar with The Boy enough and free enough.  Mr. Jarcy and I are horrible at asking for this free help so we usually just wait until someone offers and then we still don't take them up on it.  If we do it's like, We'll just be walking along the L.A. River which is 200 feet from the apartment so call us as much as you need!  Be back no later than 35 minutes from now and THANK YOU!!!  Yes, something like that.

But enough is enough-- I gotta get to a dinner out WITH Mr. Jarcy and WITHOUT one of us having to pace the floors with Maniac Boy while the other gobbles down a meal like it's his/her last!  I told Mr. Jarcy to ask around the theater he works at to see if any students of improv might be available to babysit.  By god, he came home that very day with numbers (I only asked him to do this once!).  I made ONE call and, BINGO, we have a babysitter scheduled!

After my behavior on the phone with this gal it is a damn miracle she said "yes."  First off, I talked incessantly and by that I mean I barely let her get a word in edgewise.  I was so busy working out my "momedy"* act on her that she finally said, "So, do you have any questions you'd like to ask about my experience and credentials?"  Oh sweet lord, of course, questions to ask!!!  So I did what she asked and I liked what she said.  Then she said she is First Aid/CPR certified and covering infants and small children.  So now The Boy will be safer with her on watch than his two idiot parents combined (it's been on my TO DO list for at least a year to become re-certified, guilt guilt guilt...). To top off our conversation, I told her our friends live downstairs and to call them if any problems came up with The Boy while we were away.  Do you think I gave her the impression we are not to be bothered?  I hope so.

So there you have it, big steps for all the Jarcys.  Our sitter (that's right she now belongs to us) does not come cheap but I still made more money an hour as a dog walker back in Chicago.  Figure that one out.  Now let's all raise our glasses and sippy cups and toast The Jarcys on their newfound, albeit expensive and short-lived, freedom!  Let the date night commence!  

*Mom + Comedy = Momedy (I made that up but feel free to use it whenever applicable.) 

No comments: