Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hobnobbin'

"This comforter is amazing!  Have you felt it?  Unbelievably soft and down-free.. wowsers.  Hey, where's Daddy?  He's really missing out on this comforter action.  
Poor guy never has any fun."     


Mr. Jarcy is off for the day.  He's attending an awards show.

Now that's not something you hear every day.  You mean like an awards show one watches on TV and involves celebrities?

Yep, that is correct.  Mr. Jarcy's friend is involved with the event and so he is going as his guest.  His red carpet walk began somewhere around 4:30 pm and he'll return home somewhere around 4:30 am after the late night host party.  It's all very surreal.  One minute we're contemplating temp work and the next Mr. Jarcy is attending an awards show.  I tell him he needs to get out and have fun more often.  I just didn't realize he'd be walking a red carpet and hobnobbing celebrities in the process.  I imagined him going down the street for fro-yo with a buddy, for god's sake.  Or be like me and go to a movie all by himself.  But that's the thing about Mr. Jarcy--he does it up almost never but when he does he does it up big.  (In a suit he got for free from his stint as the Illinois lottery spokesman no less.)

But Mrs. Jarcy, why didn't you go with Mr. Jarcy to this grand affair?  

First off, who would take care of Maniac (also known by many as The Boy) for 12 hours and basically sleep over?  Grammies and Grandpies live far away and with short notice they're not going to be available.  Besides, The Boy has never been away from a parent for more than 5 hours in his entire life so I can't imagine putting him, and more importantly, a poor and unsuspecting babysitter through that.  I should also mention I wasn't invited.  It seems to be a grand affair for the guys.  And that's fine with me.  Just thinking about finding something to wear that would look exquisite, expensive and elongating with only 24 hours notice is stressful enough let alone attending.  I really don't need to freak out about how the mole I've been meaning to get removed from my bulgy tricep looks as I pose for pictures next to (yards behind) a 20 lb. Eva Longoria-Parker.  

So Maniac and I will stay home.  He will play with his cars and watch Dora while I scout out dermatologists and perform multiple sets of push-ups.  And then we'll frolic around in the pool because the Valley is now 200 degrees.  And we'll watch the awards show and hope to see Daddy in the audience.  We'll alternate between watching the show and perusing the jobs section of Craigslist.  It's all very Hollywood around here for us today.        

No comments: