Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Still Pissed My Baby's Toys Were Lifted

"Someone stole my toys so I soothed myself with pasta and grapes for lunch.  It makes me look like an oompa loompa from the nose down."

I've been thinking about how my son's toys were taken today at the park.  (The last post contains all the gory details.)  One overly helpful mommy suggested to Mr. Jarcy that we should have The Boy's name written on all his toys if we are going to bring them to the park.  She also seemed to be stealing the toys while doling out her sage wisdom but let's just process the advice part...

Parenting Tip #548--Sharpie your child's name on any toys that may be mistaken as someone else's.

Is there a required reading that explains all these rules of parenting?  Evanston North Shore Hospital gave us a book on newborn basics before being sent home but that was it.  Besides, the kid is not even two and doesn't go to preschool or daycare where he and his toys would leave our sight.

But more importantly, I don't NEED to write my son's name on his toys to know which are his and which are not.  As his mother I have all of his belongings catalogued in my head.  Not only can I differentiate between toys belonging to him as opposed to other children, I can also rattle off where those toys came from--


The lone, little puppy is from my sister's childhood and came back with us at Christmas from my parents' house.  The piano, trumpet and guitar were a set I bought in August 2009 at the Target in Aurora, IL.  The orange plastic basketball goes to a football/basketball/baseball combo I bought at a garage sale in Burbank, CA the first weekend we lived here and cost $5.  

I may sound crazy but I'm certainly not alone.  ALL mommies possess this gift/curse to some degree so Miss Know It All Mommy's advice is a load of crap.  NO Mommy needs to scribble names on their kids toys--it just comes with the territory that you innately know.  I may not be able to recall today's date, my husband's cell phone number or my maiden name but ask me about my son's ball collection and I'll give you an earful.

No comments: