Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Dream Police

10 PM and this JOKER--er, toddler boy-- is still rocking and rolling all over his crib.  Other children his age are in bed sooo much earlier!  Why doesn't he understand that?!  I'm starting to think I can't allow him to nap during the day just so he'll sleep at night.  Last night he went to bed a little past 11 and then was up a little before 8.  This is cruel and unusual behavior!  I'm reporting him to the Sleep Police if this keeps up.  We can't have a baby playing in his bed for over an hour and then finally nodding off to sleep past 10 PM...can we?  Maybe I'm the one who's gonna be reported to the police for cruel and unusual behavior!  I'm failing as a parent!  I'm failing as a parent!  

Breathe, Mrs. Jarcy, breathe.  It does you no good to compare your son to other babies.  But yes, you are sort of failing as a parent.  Just try to keep it together though, you're not helping matters.

This is why I can't shake my own napping schedule.  I nap almost every day, it's starting to seem really ridiculous.  But I feel so tired!  And I think there are twinges of boredom creeping in.  I'm failing as a parent!  I'm failing as a parent!  

Perhaps you could use his napping time a little more productively?  I know you've been putting off rearranging the pots and pans cabinet for some time now but if you won't step up and do it then WHO WILL?!  The cat would do this necessary task before Mr. Jarcy, let's not kid ourselves.  It's up to you.  And yes, you are sort of failing as a parent here and there.

I know, I know, tough life I lead.  It's not.  Yes, he's a very active boy and there is no wearing him out but I really can't complain even though I am.  Like I said, some days just feel more "Groundhog Day"ish than others.  This week has been wonderful but also incredibly draggy.  And when The Boy doesn't sleep as much as other times I tend to lose it a little (lot).

I'm failing as a parent!  I'm failing as a parent! 

Plus writing "to do"lists that include "buy canned cat food in bulk" just isn't making me feel all that alive.  And if it did then I'd worry about that too.  Okay, Worry, I gotta put you to bed for the night.  The dentist says I'm creating more jaw bone just from clenching my damn teeth so often from anxiety and anger.  I really need to increase my yoga and meditation sessions from zero to some before my entire mouth is just jaw bone.

What  is it you have anxiety and anger over again?  I got distracted by this Housewives of New York City "Lost Footage" episode for a moment.  Oh right, we were discussing your failures as a parent.  These NYC gals seem to handle stress by drinking excessively, trashing one another repeatedly and recording really bad but catchy pop songs.  Maybe that could help you cope as well?  

Yoga, are you still up?  Let's do this before I change my mind and put us both to bed.  Let's see if Wine feels like some down dog action while we're at it.

No comments: