Sunday, June 20, 2010

Did This Baby Leave His Parents At Home? Seriously, How Did You Get Here, Kid?

I got an education from a Super Chill European Family today at the playground.

They taught me that their 13-month old chunky European baby boy can go down a big slide without the constant supervision and assistance of his parents.  Well, they set him up at the top of the slide and then just let him wing the rest.  They weren't clutching him on their laps the whole way down like I have been known to do (every single time).  I was convinced The Boy would hurt his head!  But the twisty big kid slides are not polished with oil.  A slick and speedy trip down is impossible as they're scuffed up and gritty with sand--perfect to keep a toddler's noggin safe!  So we followed their lead and let The Boy go sans clutching parents.  It was good for all of us.

Of course, I also learned Super Chill European Family has no problem with me tending to their baby when he plops himself in front of me, plays with The Boy's sand toys and expects me to interact with him.  Now I know why they appeared so much more rested than Mr. Jarcy and me.  I won't be following their lead on that one as tempting as it is sometimes.  Unless we see that one nanny who played soccer with The Boy once...god, that was so lovely!

No comments: