Saturday, September 11, 2010

Little House Was Memorable

Boy and Cat too fidgety to pose for a picture.  

I spent some time in the bookstore the other day.  The local library branch is only open for 45 minutes every other day (an exaggeration but barely) so I headed to the bookstore instead.  I'm not entirely sure what I was looking for--just doing some research I guess.

I wandered through the young adult aisle and discovered teens only read books pertaining to vampires and other mythical creatures as long as they are just as kissable and crushable as vampires (a centaur might be pushing it, I don't know).  It seems simply  crushing on the new boy who moved in across the street isn't an interesting enough plot unless there's a possibility he'll kill you after reaching second base.

From there I wandered through the cooking section.  Until I actually use the 237 cookbooks I already own more than twice a decade there is little reason for me to purchase another.  I moved on to self help (so over purchased there over the years), fiction and magazines (god I love magazines!).  

Then I found myself in the biography and memoir section.  Three of the Little House On The Prairie actresses have memoirs out right now-- Melissa Gilbert, Nellie, Half-Pint's older sister who did such a good job portraying a young blind woman that I've always imagined she is in real life (she is NOT it turns out).  A memoir by First Lady Laura Bush.  A memoir by a woman who lived in 39 different apartments. And a memoir by a soccer mom turned private dick.  To recap-- memoirs = way more exciting lives than I lead.   Although how exciting has the non-blind woman's really been?  Has it really been worthy of a hefty book advance (I'm counting anything above $5000 hefty).  That said, I may pick up her book over those other Little House ladies if only to find out how she's dealt with this blind or not blind situation since her teen years.

My memoir would be about a woman who simply wanted a baby and had her entire world turned upside down.  I'm guessing this experience has happened to at least one other woman who lived to write about it so then I'd throw in some centaurs just to spice things up.  That's right, I'm bringing the sexy into centaur/human relations. Maybe one of the centaurs can be blind and pining away for a married dog walker turned mommy...

1 comment:

erin said...

you are too funny!