Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Love Taps

The Boy played in this house for most of our time at Toddler School today.  He LOVED it and encouraged other children to come check out "his" humble abode.  "Look at the windows!  Check out this phone!"  He played host to all his guests.   As I comforted another little boy completely beside himself at his mother's absence,  I thanked the heavens above at my great fortune at securing The Most Amazing Boy To Ever Live.


Day 3 of Toddler School...

You've all heard me stress over The Boy's tendencies to "love tap" (hit) other children.  I signed up for Toddler School with this love tap issue hovering over my head like a dark rain cloud.  I know I sound dramatic but, frankly, it IS dramatic!  The Boy is strong.  Yes, I know, it's natural and expected behavior.  That's what folks tell me anyway.  But knowing that does nothing to reduce my anxiety.  So even though I was stressed out about this issue I still decided to sign up for the class.  I just had to try.  Because I am a glutton for punishment.  

Each time I have to leave The Love Tapping Boy in the care of another mommy who simultaneously wrangles her own child for 30 minutes and then we switch places.  Each time I give the same spiel.  "Listen," I start, "I don't know how to sugar coat this-- The Boy can get a little grabby.  He has been known to hit and push others.  I am very sorry.  Please don't be surprised if he does this.  Please feel free to come and get me if it gets too out of control.  Please let me still go off for 30 minutes like the other mommies regardless of this tendency.  Good luck."      

Lo and behold, The Boy has NEVER love tapped the other children.  Not once.  

Each time I come back and the other mommy says to me, "Mrs. Jarcy, The Boy was so well behaved!  He is just so cute and didn't even cry when you left him!  He really is just a love."  

Huh.  

I'm starting to look like a liar here.  That's a good thing.  Patches of sun are pushing through the dark cloud.  I know the love taps aren't gone forever but it has been a wonderful break from playing referee over the last few weeks.  I was beginning to feel like the security guard on Jerry Springer's show who constantly pries crazy folks off other crazy folks.    

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I've even been known to say "He's a biter" and just turn and go. It's in the church nursery, though, so they have take him...God loves em all, you know--Jen