Monday, September 6, 2010

If You Plant A Yard It Will Grow

"Some kids have yards FILLED with dirt, grass and gardens.  I have a balcony, today's newspaper and a few cups of potting soil.  Who does this Woman think she's fooling here?!"

I tried mixing things up the other day and decided to get some potting soil out for The Boy to dig his hands into.  For some reason I didn't even think this would result in dirt everywhere.  Do you like how I put down three pieces of newspaper to catch all the dirt?  Oh this will keep the soil nice and contained!  I am just such a put together Mommy, tra la la la la!  Idiot!  It worked until he realized what fun he could have dumping the dirt onto his lap.  He enjoyed that so much he decided I should be covered in dirt as well.   

Do you think I could plant a yard on our balcony for him?  We went to our playgroup Friday and when we got out of the car he greeted the grass like an old friend he'd longed to hang out with.  "Oh look Mommy, there's my bestie, Grass!  Hi Grass!  These two yahoos have me living in an apartment, I'm so sorry we can't hang out together more often!"  Insert guilt here.  

After playgroup he went right back to visiting with old friend Grass.  We walked the neighborhood playing with Grass until I realized I was wearing an all black dress and the temperature was easily 100 degrees in the shade.  The Boy's cheeks were all red after just ten minutes out there!  Insert guilt here.

Someday, Boy, someday!  You too will get to have as many playdates with Grass as you like...I just can't tell you when.  It may be when you're an adult and can afford your own lawn.  And then Daddy and I will come live with you!  Insert guilt here.   

No comments: