Thursday, September 2, 2010

Adult School Plus Boy

The Boy started "school" on Tuesday mornings.  (Have I mentioned this yet?  Just go with me if I have.  I've learned this is the best strategy when elders close to me repeat their stories and it's high time you learn that as well.)

Now I know what you're thinking.

I'm thinking I might want to change over to Allstate Insurance from Progressive.  How do you know that?!

Okay I don't know what you're thinking.  I was still talking about The Boy and his Tuesday morning schedule.

Alright fine...continue (sigh and eye roll). 

So we're now going to school on Tuesdays from 9-11:15 am.  Technically I am the one signed up for school and it took actually showing up to class for me to figure that out.  My friends told me about this school for toddlers and I do whatever my local parent friends tell me to.  So yeah, it's a parenting class which I'm going to consider a well-deserved break where I may learn some new tricks of the trade.  The first 30 minutes are play time, the following are 30 minutes while half the mothers (sorry, parents) go to their own class and the remaining mothers (sorry, parents) watch all the kids.  Then all reunite and sing some songs before the other half of mothers (sorry, parents) go off to class.  Again everyone comes together in time for a snack and then more play time and a song about going bye bye and then you do indeed take the hint and go bye bye.

I may have the schedule out of whack because we only attended last week.  This Tuesday I was ill (Boy and Cat posted on my behalf).  But the jist is you get time away from your toddler while that toddler gets used to time away from you in a school setting.  And some other parent has to put up with that toddler in your absence.

Let me tell you, the moms left to tend to all those kids first were wondering why they were paying for this torture, myself included of course.  It. Was. Chaos.  Even the teachers seemed thrown from the Toddler Force that was coursing through the room.  It was like a school of fish in tornado form had converged on Burbank.  "Let's all go pilfer that corner with toys we missed earlier!  Let's all head outdoors to the play yard!  Let's all run back inside and squeal at the top of our widdle lungs!" Moms were left in their wake like trailer homes strewn over a Kansas corn field.  And then there were the kids who could not handle the fact Mommy had left them and were losing all hope of seeing her again.  I was lucky enough NOT to have buddied up with a Mom with that kind of kid and was thanking my lucky stars.  My little gal, however, ran off in the opposite direction of The Boy for most of the time (but damn she was too too cute).

I'm pretty sure we all left class needing a long afternoon nap and strong, stiff drink (did that and that).  That said, The Boy was so well behaved!  He did not hit.  He did not grab (much).  He sat and played by himself and then sat and ate a widdle snack.  Ah, it was bliss!  Not as blissful as the thirty minutes when I went off to a SILENT room with other Mommies and filled out paperwork for my parenting class but it was a close second.  So yes, it was chaos but it was fun.  It. Was. Fun.

So yeah, that's our new school and I'm looking forward to next week!

You know, I've been thinking about something while you've been sharing your story.

About how I'd be up for a Mother Of The Year Award if such a thing was given?

No, I think I am gonna take the leap and switch my insurance to Allstate.  I like their commercials better.  And you know, Allstate is just...wait, do you have a moment?  

Alright, fine...continue (sigh and eye roll).  

No comments: