Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cabbage Fever

The cabbage has taken over my mother lovin life.

I keep wandering into my kitchen to take inventory of all the fresh produce and then worry about how I'm going to make the best use of them all. The cabbage, however, is clearly the front runner.  Question--How stressed out can someone get over a cabbage?  The answer-- Very!

I think I should have better prepared myself for this new local produce undertaking.  Last month I signed up for that writing a book in a week deal and then made sure I had a lot of free time to accomplish the task. For this project, however, I had not allotted extra time and now harbor feelings of guilt, bitterness and inadequacy.  That's right, I feel like a total loser and it's the fault of fresh fruits and veggies.  I don't want to let them go to waste and then become frozen in fear as to how to prevent that from happening! That bowling ball of a cabbage is taunting me as I sit here typing--  "Hello, Mrs. Jarcy?  What are you doing over at the cafe writing?  You don't have time for writing, you're supposed to be sauteeing me up with olive oil, fresh garlic and pepper already!  And after me the radishes have requested twenty minutes of your time and radishes do NOT like to be kept waiting!"

If there was ever doubt as to whether or not I'd make a good contestant for Top Chef I think this experience provides us with an answer.  Quick Fire challenge #1 would deduce me to tears rocking back and forth in the corner of a big meats cooler.  Padma told us to prepare an egg dish an airline could serve in their pre-flight lounge...it's just too much!!!  

Now if you'll excuse me, I must return home to cook up collard greens while snacking on celery stalks and radishes...

*Thank you to the lovely readers who graciously answered my plea for cabbage and leafy greens recipes.  That cabbage will NOT get the best of me yet!   

No comments: