Tuesday, September 14, 2010

No Takeout This Week


Got my second order from the community supported agriculture group.  I couldn't go pick it up myself since I was taking my mother to the airport (boo and hiss) so Mr. Jarcy and The Boy went instead.  They  came home with a bag full of leafy greans, collard greens, broccoli, celery, assorted fruit and one humongous cabbage.  

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THIS HUMONGOUS CABBAGE?!  

That's an actual question and I'm accepting all suggestions.  I love cole slaw but not in bulk.  I'll take ideas on preparing radishes as well.  The Jarcy diet is getting quite the makeover this week...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cabbage rolls! Yum! I haven't made them but my dad made some this summer and they were delicious. I am sure you will find some good recipes for them at www.recipezaar.com Good luck!
Patty

Jenny said...

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=263393

Jill said...

It's Jill F., the lurker from Griggs' blog. I've eaten collards once and they were pretty yummy in this recipe: http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/raw-collard-greens-recipe-who-knew.html (This is one of my favorite healthy-living-recipe blogs. She also has a recipe for cabbage, although it doesn't look too appetizing to me.)

Lois said...

I have a great recipe for a Runza type casserole. I know you remember runza, right? :) It's a Nebraska thing - so I hope you were introduced to it. Let's see if I can remember it off the top of my head...
2 tubes crescent rolls
2 lbs ground beef
2 onions
4 c shredded cabbage
salt and pepper to taste
8 - 16 oz mozz cheese (or any other type of cheese is really okay too) I use more or less cheese depending on my mood and diet! haha
Preheat oven to 350. Brown ground beef and onions together. Drain. Mix shredded cabbage into the ground beef mixture. Put lid on and let it steam for a few minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. While cabbage is steaming, place 1 tube crescent roll on bottom of 9x13 inch pan (lay it flat so it covers the bottom). Dump ground beef mixture on top of crescent roll. Place cheese on top of ground beef and cover with the other tube of crescent roll.
Put in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes. Take it out after 30 minutes and cover with alum foil and cook for another 10 minutes (it makes the bread on top a little softer).
Eat and enjoy. Let me know if you try it. I really like it and Mervin LOVES it. Keoni not so much - but what are you going to do with a picky 3 yr old?!