Sunday, August 22, 2010

Moo? Alright, I Guess That Can Count

Boy all widdle and newborny.


The Boy is 18 months old.  He's not speaking.  Let me amend that by saying he is speaking CONSTANTLY only it his own language.  He looks at you while speaking, points at stuff while speaking and has even held his hands out and upside down while speaking as if to say, "I mean, am I right or am I right?  You know what I'm talking about, right?"

Well, no, we don't.  

We went to the doctor earlier in the week-- as mentioned in this hilarious little story-- and she referred us to an agency that will assess his lack of speech.  Fortunately, I have two good friends here who have gone through this same experience with their little boys as well.  (Hmmm, if many boys this age aren't talking, perhaps that is normal...)

Sometimes I stress out over this (ah, let's just add this to the list!) but I also know I'll miss his made-up language when it goes extinct.  He's so cute talking his jibberish and signing "more" for more tickling, more books, more chasing after him, etc.  And it will be just another babyism soon thrown by the wayside to make room for growing boy status.  (BOOHOO!  How is it that all this parenting mumbo jumbo can be beyond stressful and difficult yet then those stressful and difficult phases pass and you miss them!  It's so insane.)

He has been saying some words this week though.  He's been saying MOO, MEOW and DADA.  When asked who I am I swear he said my first name instead of MAMA.  And sometimes he will use MOM when I'm prying him off other children or the tops of tables.  That's lovely, he'll refer to me when pissed off about me not letting him run the show.  Oy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um...yeah...give this some more time. Boys run around and play with balls. Girls play with dolls and talk to them like they are the mommy. I think it is too early to worry about this one. He is communicating and that is what is important. Just my opinion ;-)
Patty