Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Urban Legend

I have encountered a creature more mythical and rare than the Lochness Monster, Bigfoot and a Chupacabra combined...

The Unfriendly Trader Joe's Employee

I had never even heard of an Unfriendly Trader Joe's Employee, that's how rare they are!  And to think she was living among us unhappily checking out goodies at our nearest store!
  • She did not smile.  
  • She did not ask asinine questions like, "What do you think of the Joe's O cereal? I've never tried it."  
  • She not only demanded to see I.D. for the wine I was purchasing, she also studied my entire being for a full 30 seconds--with and without reading glasses-- to ensure that I did indeed look the part of a thirty cough-cough year old woman.
  • She talked at great length with another Trader Joe's Employee about wanting to transfer to another Trader Joe's store.  A store far, far away from the Sherman Oaks one with all it's, "you know."
No, I didn't "you know!"  What the hell did that mean?  Was it me?  Did I unknowingly offend her with my pleasant demeanor or purchase of three half-gallon organic/unsweetened soymilks? Was it the store?  Was it deemed unsanitary by the health department?  What did this crabby lady mean?!

I applied to work at a Trader Joe's once back in Chicago.  I wasn't hired.  But if this woman has slipped through the cracks then there's still hope for making my grocery bagging dreams a reality.

No comments: